Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Movie Review: District 9

So I'm trying my hardest to get through all ten best picture nominations before the big day on March 7th and the latest movie to watch was District 9. I was a little skeptical about it and I had pretty much no idea what it was about before I watched it and umm I'm a little speechless still.



Once I got past the gross looking aliens, the black vomit, the all around gore and violence I did enjoy the movie. It had a pretty intriguing plot and I liked how it was filmed sort of like a documentary but also like a movie.

So what is the plot of this movie? Aliens land on earth 20 years ago and for some reason aren't able to leave. The humans round them up and put them into District 9, a housing area, which basically turns into a slum. One day the humans decide to evict the aliens and move them to District 10 which is out of the city limits and in the middle of nowhere to appease humans that don't want the aliens there any more. Basically all hell breaks lose when the man in charge, Wikus, gets infected and friends becomes enemies and enemies friends and yeah, it's nuts.



I spent a lot of the movie covering my eyes and saying "EW" but that doesn't mean I didn't like it. The whole story line reminded me of the X-Men movies and how although using something so far fetched from reality (in this case bug-like aliens) it openly exposed human politics to different cultures and behaviors.

Ultimately you do feel bad for the aliens as humans are exposed as trigger happy bullies and the battle that ensues is quite captivating and leaves you wanting a sequel for sure. I'm not sure that this movie will win Best Picture but I am glad I saw it and you might want to check it out as well.

No comments: