Friday, November 20, 2009

Book Review: The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind

Seriously I have been so behind on reviews and everything, oh the crazy life I lead.

Anyways, a while back I was contacted by someone at Harper Collins asking if I'd be interested in receiving this book and who am I to turn down a free book so of course I said yes. And I'm so glad I did because this book is amazing. I found myself wanting to know more and looking up William's story and interviews online because it was just that fascinating.

In a nutshell the synopsis of the book is something like this: William, a young boy in Malawi, is forced to leave school due to the fact that his family has become poverty stricken in a country where everyone is suffering. However William doesn't stop learning, he continues to use the resources around him and ultimately teaches himself everything he needs to know to construct a windmill to provide his family with electricity for the first time ever.

Amazing right?

Overall I loved the way William was able to tell his story. There were pictures to outline some of the physics that not everyone (me especially, I was horrible at Physics) would understand, there were snippets into his childhood, there were pictures of his family and friends, there was an overall sense of sincerity that made me just like William even more.

So if you want an uplifting story of perseverance this is definitely one to check out and add to your reading lists.


Check out William's blog here for more information about his amazing story as he continues to help others and further his education.



I was given this book free-of-charge to provide an honest review. The opinions are mine and were not influenced by any source. I was not compensated monetarily to advertise this book.

No comments: